Monday, November 10, 2008

Roasted Veg

Yesterday I mentioned my roasted vegetables. This is my favorite way to deal with a new root vegetable I'm somewhat unsure about. Mix it up with vegetables I do like, toss with olive oil and garlic. Extra virgin oil isn't necessary here, as the volatile elements that make it taste so excellent are destroyed at high heat. Regular olive oil offers the same health benefits at a lower cost.

If you have herbs on hand, they're wonderful to throw in. Rosemary is particularly delicious, I also enjoy sage and thyme. Hierbes provencales are an excellent blend, as well. Basically, think French.

Just to throw in more variations, the temperature I used below isn't hard and fast. 450 is nice because they cook fast, and caramelize the outside some, but it's also the temperature my oven already was at after baking bread.

One note though, if your turnip still has the greens attached, and they look nice (i.e. green and crisp), save them. Turnip greens can be delicious, prepared the same way you'd make most any winter green.



Roasted Turnip Mix:
1 purple globe turnip, peeled and diced (the peel is very bitter)
1 medium onion, coarsely diced
2 large carrots, or bunch of scarlet nantes carrots, coarsely diced
3 tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 450 F.
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and toss to coat evenly. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast for 20 min, or until the onions are slightly caramelized and the turnips are fork tender.

No comments: