Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Pimienta

While in college, I volunteered with an organization to help teach Hispanic immigrants English. In exchange, I got to practice my Spanish, and my lovely student fed me on a regular basis. The only downside was that she refused to share recipes. The one that I most enjoy recreating is something she called Pasta Pimienta. When she first served it, I thought it was regular spaghetti with pesto on top, but in fact the sauce is based on green peppers. It's definitely unusual, but it's light and refreshing and a great side dish to Tex Mex food. She served it usually with garlicky limey chicken or shredded beef. I tend to eat it as is, with a glass of milk.



Pasta Pimienta
1-2 oz pasta (I use whole wheat)
4 small or 2 large green peppers, cut into large chunks
3 cloves garlic, peeled
2 tbsp olive oil
salt to taste
1 tbsp sugar

Boil water in a pot and cook pasta to al dente.

While pasta is cooking, combine remaining ingredients in a food processor. Pulse until peppers have been almost completely pureed.

Drain noodles, return now-empty pot to stove, and adjust heat to medium high. Once dry, pour in sauce from food processor. Heat for 3-5 minutes, until hot throughout and the raw flavor has been lost. Return pasta to pot, toss to coat.

Serves 2

No comments: