Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Carrot & Fennel Soup

I'm starting back to this blogging thing slowly. It seemed like everybody included fancy photos, and I'm not a photographer, but I do know food, so that's what I'm sticking with. Before I've always cooked fennel the same way: roasted with garlic & topped with parmesan. But I'm on this soup kick lately, so fennel soup it is. I wanted to balance the licorice-ishness with some sweet and savory.

Carrot and Fennel Soup

2 tbsp butter
1 medium onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 carrots, diced
1 potato, diced
1 fennel bulb, with greens, diced
6 cups vegetable broth

Over medium low heat, melt butter, then add onions. Cook until very tender. Turn the heat to medium, add garlic and rest of the veggies. Sautee, stirring occasionally, until the veggies begin to brown. Add the broth and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until vegetables are cooked through, about 30 minutes.

Serves 4 to 6.

No comments: