Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Spaghetti Squash How-To

So far, I've only found one real use for spaghetti squash, and that's to use it almost like real spaghetti. I prepare it like I do all hard squashes, then top it with marinara, usually as a side dish for something heavy and Italian, like my eggplant parmesan. Today, I was lazy and hoping to be healthy, so I paired it simply with a mock chicken patty (Quorn tastes scarily like McDonald's chicken) that I also added marinara to. But figuring out how to just cook it took some practice. So, here is how I get it ready a la Pioneer Woman.

Start with one spaghetti squash. It's large, yellow and oval.



Cut in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. (Save the seeds, they can be roasted like pumpkin seeds.)



Place one half cut side down on a plate, put water in the bottom, and wrap tightly in Saran Wrap. Then microwave on high for 15 min.



Once done, take out carefully, as there's lots of steam built up. Turn cut side up and scrape with a fork. It should come apart in little strings, that resemble actual noodles.



This can be done with any hard squash, like butternut, acorn or delicata that you want to use in a larger recipe. With those, scoop out the cooked flesh with a spoon and add to soups, pastas, etc. If you're simply roasting to serve as a stand alone dish, I do recommend the oven, as it just tastes better.

No comments: