Friday, November 7, 2008

Fruit Quest

I'm still on a quest to actually liking fruit, or at least get more of it in my diet. Since my C.S.A. here is a grab bag, and I live in the agricultural center of the U.S., it tends to come with a fair amount of fruit. This past week included half a dozen Asian pears.

Now, I am giving eating fresh, unadulterated fruit a chance. After all, if it's fresh, organic and local, it's probably the best circumstances for me to like it, right? Well, Asian pears weren't my bag. The skin was so bitter and the texture horrible to me. But I did like the flavor of the pear itself, which I consider an excellent start. Googling poached pears, looking through my pantries, and some experimenting led me to these ginger poached pears. I suppose you could have them over ice cream, or as is for dessert. I personally have been eating them over granola and plain yogurt for breakfast. And of course, the sugar and ginger can be adjusted to your own tastes. I didn't add very much since I wanted this to be less of a dessert, but added more ginger because I like the kick, and it would cover any "yuckiness." Yup, I'm real mature about fruit. Someday you should ask me about dried apricots.

Ginger Poached Pears
6 pears, peeled, cored, sliced
2 inches fresh ginger, diced OR 1 tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
3 cups water

Bring ginger, sugar and water to a boil. Add pears, and allow to simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes, or until tender.

Serves 6.

No comments: